Pages

Thursday 28 March 2019

Maths➗

Today for maths we were together with Room 10.
For maths we were split into groups of four.
In my group was De Niro , Amon and Isaia. In each group we were given a math problem.
This is all of the math problem I recall.
"Ms. Aireen has 114 texts left on her phone, and there are six days left of the month, she needs to send an equal number of texts, how many texts can she send each day?" 
When my group first saw the problem we all had different.
Next Ms Aireen gave my group a piece of paper with the problem on it.  But before she handed me the pen she said I wasn't allowed to talk or write my strategy because I was scribe. Scribe only writes down other people's ideas.
First to say their strategy was Amon. Amon's strategy was rounding and compensating.

First he wrote the equation.

114 ➗ 6 = ?

First Amon rounded 114 to the nearest ten. Which is 120. I know what you're thinking. Why is it 120 the nearest 10 is 110. Well if you make the number 110 you can't divide it into 6. But if you make it 120 you can divide into 6.
120 ➗ 6 = 20
Next step: 6➗6=1
The six comes from the six he added to the 114 to make 120. 
20-1=19
That is the answer 19.

Now I am going to show my strategy.
My strategy is called Splitting/Partitioning.
In my strategy I won't be writing I am just going to be showing you my strategy.

114 ➗ 6 = ?
Split 114 into 90 and 24.
(90➗6)+(24➗6)
=15+4
=19

Image result for math gif

No comments:

Post a Comment