Pages

Wednesday 18 December 2019

SLJ Week 1 Day 3 : Team Players

Activity 1: Rugby Superstars [4 points]
Jonah Lomu was a rugby superstar. He was the youngest ever All Black, selected at just 19 years of age. He went on to have an amazing career that included 63 caps (international games) and 37 tries. Jonah was Tongan, but spent most of his childhood in Mangere, South Auckland. He started out playing touch rugby and rugby league but changed over to rugby union and quickly made a name for himself. He was very tall, strong and fast.
For this activity, let’s imagine that you could be a superhero for a day. What three superpowers would you most like to have?
On your blog, please list the three superpowers, tell us why you have chosen each one, and tell us what you are going to do with them.
My First Power I would have is super strength. I will use my super strength to help construction workers build houses and buildings. It will be very quick. My second super power I would have is to have super speed. I will use my speed to run to emergencies and quickly help with my super strength. My third power will be to read people's minds. I will use it in court so I can see who is telling the truth and who is not.

Activity 2: Defying the Odds [4 points]
LeBron James is one of the most famous professional basketball players in the world. He currently plays in the NBA (National Basketball Association) for the Los Angeles Lakers. He has won numerous awards over the years, helping his teams win many important games.
Steven Adams also plays in the NBA, but unlike LeBron, Steven comes from Rotorua, New Zealand and is the half-brother of Olympic gold medalist Valerie Adams. That’s a pretty cool family connection, isn’t it?! Steven Adams currently lives in the United States and plays for the Oklahoma City Thunder basketball team.

For this activity, we would like you to imagine that you had the chance to interview LeBron James, Steven Adams or another basketball player of your choice.
On your blog, tell us who you would interview and then provide a list of five questions that you would like to ask your chosen player.
I would pick Steven Adams.
What made you choose basketball over rugby ?
Did you like rugby growing up?
Who inspired you to play Basketball?
Who is your favourite NBA player?
Are you jealous of your sister who is a gold medalist?

Activity 3: Achieving our Dreams [6 points]
The Silver Ferns are New Zealand’s professional netball team. They are based in Auckland and play against teams from all over the world. Next year they are due to compete in the first ever Netball Nations cup competition in England.
In order to earn a place on the team, each of the players had to prove that they were one of the best netball players in the country. They have all had to work very hard, sacrifice many things, and show dedication and determination throughout their careers. In many cases, they have also had a lot of support from others - their family, friends, teachers, coaches. This support has allowed them to pursue their dreams and to, ultimately, do a job that they love.
For this activity, choose a friend or family member and ask them what their dream job would be. Please then brainstorm six ways in which you could support them in achieving their dream job.
On your blog, present your ideas as a poster or infographic.

1 comment:

  1. Talofa lava Auckland,

    What cool superpowers you have chosen! What I really like about the superpowers you have chosen is that you have chosen them to help others and I think that is such a thoughtful idea. I watch so many crime investigation programmes that I also wish I could read people’s minds to see who is telling the truth or not. I hate to think about the amount of innocent people who are put in jail!

    Great interview questions as well, I would be really interested to know if he is envious of his sister’s achievements too, mind you I don’t think he would be jealous of her paycheck because I am pretty sure he earns around $27 million dollars.

    Love the infographic you used for the dream job activity! Just interested in seeing what the dream job was and whose dream job it is! I really like how you used presented some really helpful ways in which you can support others with their dream jobs

    Well done on completing the Day 3 activities for Week 1 but I am just wondering if you could just have a think about presenting your first two blog posts in a way that shows some colour or even a few pictures. You have a whole lot of amazing ideas but it would be just as amazing if there were some eye catching visuals to go with those ideas just like you did for the dream job activity. Don’t be discouraged, you are awesome and your mahi is awesome too! :)

    Malo,
    Mani

    ReplyDelete